KTDate

Join me on my journey through "It's Just Lunch!"

20 March 2006

The Premise

So, I am slowly realizing that I'm really lazy. First I decided that since I hadn't cleaned my house in three years, I should just give in and get cleaners. Then I decided that since I had no pictures hanging on the walls or any knick-knacks around my apartment, I should get a decorator (ok, that was just my very talented sister, but still). More recently, I realized that I can't keep up with the work that goes into screening and identifying dates. So I joined It's Just Lunch, a matchmaking service that does all the work for you. Basically, you pay them for the year and they promise you at least 14 first dates. The idea is that you are "just" having lunch, so there isn't a lot of pressure, and the date is limited in duration.

The first thing you do is to go meet your matchmaker. You fill out a questionnaire which is not particularly detailed -- just basic information. Another page has a laundry list of activities, and you circle activities you do, and check activities you are interested in. They were categorized, and my OCD required that I circle or check at least one activity in each category. I ran into a problem in the sports category, so I think I circled golf. I did take lessons once, and I always liked the idea of such a social sport that could potentially involve beer.

Then I had a discussion with my matchmaker where she asked me a lot of open-ended questions like "how would your friends describe you?" I hate that question, and I'm just not that good at talking about myself in terms of characteristics. Give me a piece of paper and a couple of hours and I can come up with a reasonable description of myself, but I guess it's just uncomfortable in person. She also asked me what I required in a date, if I would date somewhere who was divorced/had kids/smoked, etc.

That was it for the meeting. Then they kicked me out and now I never see them again. Someone (not even the matchmaker) will call me when they have a date for me, and tell me about him and where and when to meet him. After each date I'm supposed to call and give them feedback so that they can "refine" the matchmaking process. I'm skeptical, but we'll see how it goes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>